It was announced by the WWE last night at the Smackdown tapings that Daniel Bryan will battle Randy Orton for the vacant WWE title at the new WWE pay-per-view, Battleground. The event takes place on Sunday, October 6 in Buffalo, New York.
The Bryan and Orton feud started at Summerslam last month when Bryan defeated John Cena to capture the WWE title. Orton who had won the Money in the Bank briefcase in July came down to the ring and WWE COO Triple H attacked Bryan and gave him the pedigree. “The Viper” then came into the ring and pinned Bryan to win the title.
The two combatants have been feuding since with Orton getting the upper hand the majority of the time. Bryan and Orton battled at Night of Champions with the WWE title on the line. Triple H said at the beginning of the event saying their would be no interference by any superstar.
Bryan pinned Orton in a good match to win the title.
On Monday Night Raw two days ago, Bryan came out to celebrate his victory and then Triple H came out to confront Bryan. Triple H told referee Scott Armstrong to come out to the ring. The COO compared a count from earlier in the match to the fast count that won the title for Bryan.
Armstrong admitted he made a mistake and told Bryan, “the gig is up” in reference to them being together and screwing Orton out of the title. Triple H then told Bryan they are holding the title up, which leads to the announcement last night.