Tito Ortiz Has A Fractured Neck, Bellator 106 Will Now Be on Spike TV

It has been confirmed by Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney that Tito Ortiz has suffered a fractured neck and will be out of his Bellator 106 fight next Saturday with Quinton Jackson. Rebney then said the card will switch from pay-per-view to a three hour event on Spike TV and the people who had already ordered the event will get reimbursed.

We had reported earlier today that Ortiz was going to be out of the fight.

Rebney and Spike TV executive Kevin Kay held a conference call earlier today to make the announcement of the switches.

“I’ve got bad news, and I’ve got great news,” began Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney. “The bad news is that I can confirm that Tito has fractured his neck and will be unable to fight next Saturday. His doctors confirmed that fighting with Tito right now could have dire consequences, so Tito is off the card and our thoughts and prayers are with him in what we hope will be a great and full recovery.

“The great news that I’ve got, because I’ve got the greatest partners on Earth at Spike and Viacom like Kevin Kay and people like Wade Davis, we’re going to give Chandler-Alvarez II for the lightweight title, (Muhammad)Lawal versus Emanuel Newton II for the light heavyweight interim world title, [Pat] Curran versus [Daniel] Strauss II for the featherweight world title, and a bevy of other really great fights, all to the best MMA fans on Earth, for free on Spike TV, Saturday night at 9 o’clock Eastern time.”

Every main card fight will be moved up now with the rematch of Michael Chandler and Eddie Alvarez for the lightweight title. Rebney said that the “Fight Master” finale between Joe Riggs and Mike Bronzoulis will now be apart of the main card.

Rebney stated that Ortiz could be sidelined for more than six months before the Bellator can get a better timeframe on an Ortiz return. In terms of when Jackson will make his Bellator debut, Rebney would like to get Jackson ASAP.

“On the Rampage front, literally as quickly as possible,” he said. “Obviously there have been a lot of moving parts with Kevin and I and the team and Spike and Bellator and everybody working together to put this magical show on Spike TV for free, but don’t think that we’re not thinking about Rampage and we’re hopefully going to be in a position in the next week to make some great announcements on that as well.”

Follow Between The Ropes on Facebook and Twitter.

Steve Muehlhausen

Steven was a Featured UFC Columnist for Bleacher Report and a writer for MMASucka.com. Steven was also the host of the MMA show: The Fight Club Chicago, which aired for three years at various websites. You can email Steve at stevemuehlhausen@yahoo.com.


Speak Your Mind

*


*