Wrestlemania 30 takes place in 13 days from the Mercedes Benz Superdome in New Orleans, Louisiana. The top matches on the show include Daniel Bryan vs HHH, Brock Lesnar vs The Undertaker, Randy Orton vs Batista vs either Bryan or HHH and John Cena vs Bray Wyatt.
Throughout the next two weeks as we approach the biggest wrestling show of the year, we will be taking a look back at some of the best moments in the career of some of the superstars in the top matches.
John Cena has been the biggest star in the WWE for the last ten years. Cena is a 14 time WWE/World Heavyweight Champion and will be facing Wyatt at the “Showcase of the Immortals”. Cena has been in some of the biggest matches in the last decade and now we will take a look at the top matches in the career of Cena.
5) John Cena vs The Big Show for the United States Title at Wrestlemania 20: This was Cena’s first ever Wrestlemania as he had debuted in the middle of 2002, but did not appear at Wrestlemania 19. Going into Wrestlemania 20, Cena was on the rise as he had turned babyface at the end of 2003 and was riding a wave of momentum against Show. This match kicked off the card with Cena winning his first ever title in the WWE.
4) John Cena vs JBL for the WWE Championship at Wrestlemania 21: After winning the United States title at Wrestlemania 20, Cena held the title on and off throughout 2004. After winning a number one contender’s match over Kurt Angle the previous month, Cena moved onto Wrestlemania 21 to face JBL for the WWE championship. At that time, JBL was the longest reigning WWE champion in the last decade, holding the title for over nine months. Cena ended up walking out of Wrestlemania 21 defeating JBL to win his first WWE championship.
3) John Cena vs CM Punk for the WWE Championship at Money in the Bank 2011: This is a match that Cena did lose, but this match had a lot of significance to both guys and their respective careers. Heading into the match, Punk’s contract was expiring and no one knew whether he was resigning with the company. Cena has always been known as a guy who works hard, but hadn’t had many standout matches. Added into the match was the fact it was held in Punk’s hometown of Chicago. The crowd was electric as they were chanting Punk’s name the entire night and Cena came out with his head down, focused and booed out of the building. Combine all of those factors, Cena and Punk put on the best match in 2011 by Pro Wrestling Illustrated and one of the best matches in the career of Cena even in defeat.
2) John Cena vs The Rock for the WWE Championship at Wrestlemania 29: This match in terms of work rate wasn’t a five star classic, but was significant. Cena and Rock battled at Wrestlemania 28 with Rock coming out on top after not competing for eight years. Rock’s next match was against CM Punk for the WWE Championship at Royal Rumble 2013 and won his first WWE title in ten and a half years. The match was the main event of this show, which was held in the number one market for the WWE, New York/New Jersey. Cena won the match to win his 13th Heavyweight Championship and was a passing of the torch as after the match, Rock walked up the rampway with Cena saluting him and raising his arm.
1) John Cena vs Shawn Michaels on Monday Night Raw- April 23, 2007: Cena and Michaels faced each other at a few weeks earlier in the main event at Wrestlemania 23 with Cena retaining the WWE Championship. A few weeks later the two squared off again in the main event of the April 23, 2007 edition of Monday Night Raw in a non-title match in London, England with Michaels winning in a 40 plus minute classic. This was quite arguably not only the greatest match in the history of Raw, but it was the greatest match in the career of Cena. This was also deemed the match of the year by Pro Wrestling Illustrated for 2007.
Give us your thoughts and if you would replace any of these matches in the career of John Cena.