Randy Orton heads into this Sunday’s WWE Wrestlemania 30 as the WWE World Heavyweight Champion. Orton will be in the main event of the show facing Batista and the winner of the Daniel Bryan vs HHH match.
Orton signed a deal with WWE in 2001 and started in Ohio Valley Wrestling and was brought up to the main roster in 2002. Orton is a 12 time WWE/World Heavyweight Champion, Intercontinental Champion and Tag Team Champion.
We are going to look back at the top matches in the career of the current WWE World Heavyweight Champion.
5) Randy Orton vs Rob Van Dam at 2003 Armageddon for the WWE Intercontinental Championship: Orton had started to find his place in the company when this match took place in December 2003. By this time, Orton was apart of Evolution with HHH, Batista and Ric Flair. They were the most over heels at that current time. Van Dam was the Intercontinental Champion heading into this title defense. In what was a very good match, Orton defeated Van Dam to the title and win the first singles belt of his career.
4) Randy Orton vs Mick Foley at 2004 Backlash: This feud had started to escalate at the end of 2003 and rolled right into 2004. The two squared off in a handicap match at Wrestlemania 20 when Orton, Batista and Flair defeated Foley and The Rock. The WWE paired the two in a one on one match at the Backlash pay-per-view the following month in a no holds barred match. This was Foley’s first singles match in over four years and the two put on one heck of a match. Orton won the match and really put him on the map as a guy who can adapt to different types of wrestling styles.
3) Randy Orton vs Chris Benoit at Summerslam 2004 for the World Heavyweight Championship: I know bringing up Benoit’s name is pretty much taboo since he murdered his wife and son in 2007. This match was Orton’s first crack at a heavyweight title and got into the match by winning a battle royal a few weeks beforehand. Benoit had been on a run during this time as he won the World Heavyweight Title at Wrestlemania 20. It was a hotly contested 20 minute match with Orton walking out the winner and his first ever Heavyweight Championship.
2) Randy Orton vs The Undertaker at Wrestlemania 21: This was a really good buildup as Orton had been the “Legend Killer” gimmick laying out legends like Mick Foley, Jake “The Snake” Roberts and Ric Flair. Heading into Wrestlemania 21, Taker was 12-0 at Mania heading into this match. This match went about 15 minutes with Taker winning the match, which was his best Mania match since his match with Triple H at Wrestlemania 17 in 2001 and has been Orton’s best match ever at Wrestlemania.
1) Randy Orton vs Triple H at No Mercy 2007 for the WWE Championship: Heading into this event, the title was vacant as it was supposed to be John Cena vs Orton, but Cena had torn his pectoral muscle six days before on an edition of Monday Night Raw. At the beginning of the show, Vince McMahon had made Orton the champion, but HHH protested and McMahon a match them two and HHH won the title. “The Game” then defeated Umaga halfway through the show and then faced Orton in the main event of the show in a last man standing match. Orton walked out of the match winning in my mind his first ever WWE championship.
Let us know your thoughts on if you would get rid of or add any matches.