Brock Lesnar heads into fourth Wrestlemania this Sunday as he tries to break The Undetaker’s 21-0 streak at Wrestlemania. Lesnar debuted in the company in 2002 with Paul Heyman and became at that time the youngest WWE Champion defeating The Rock at the 2002 Summerslam. “The Beast Incarnate” left the company in 2004 and didn’t return until the day after Wrestlemania 28 in 2012. In between that, Lesnar almost made the NFL and then became the UFC Heavyweight Champion in 2008.
Lesnar has had a tremendous impact in the WWE in his two separate tenures. Let’s now take a look back at some of the best matches in the career of Brock Lesnar.
5) Brock Lesnar vs Rob Van Dam in the finals of the 2002 King of the Ring: Lesnar had made his WWE debut three months previous on the day after Wrestlemania 18. Lesnar was steamrolling through everyone into the 2002 edition of King of the Ring. Beating Test in the semifinals, Lesnar advance to the finals against Intercontinental Champion Rob Van Dam. This was Lesnar’s toughest test to date. Lesnar defeated Van Dam in a good ten minute match as this was the first sign of big things to come.
4) Brock Lesnar vs The Undertaker at No Mercy 2002 for the WWE Championship: These two square this Sunday at Wrestlemania 30, but have battled each other before. They first started feuding in September of 2002 at the Unforgiven pay-per-view with the match ending in a double disqualification. The two battled again the next month at the No Mercy event inside Hell in a Cell, which was and still is The Undertaker’s speciality match. In my mind this was the best match in 2002 with Lesnar winning in a 30 plus minute bloodbath.
3) Brock Lesnar vs CM Punk at Summerslam 2013: When Lesnar came back in 2012, a lot of people wondered if Lesnar could still go in the ring considering he hadn’t been in the ring in over eight years. Lesnar had very good matches since his return up to this match against Punk at Summerslam 2013. The build was fairly simple as Punk left Paul Heyman, with the devious manager bringing in his hired gun to take Punk out. These guys put on a near 30 minute classic with Punk winning the match as I thought this was the 2013 match of the year and the best match since Lesnar returned to the WWE.
2) Brock Lesnar vs Kurt Angle 60 Minute Iron Man Match for the WWE Championship: These had classic matches all throughout 2003 starting at Wrestlemania 19 with Lesnar winning the title. Angle regained the title in July of that year pinning and then beating him again the following month at Summerslam. The blowoff to the feud took place on the September 16th edition of Smackdown in a 60 minute Iron Man Match. This was an unbelievable match that ended up with Lesnar winning five falls to four and regaining the WWE Championship. This was deemed the best match of 2003 by Pro Wrestling Illustrated.
1) Brock Lesnar vs The Rock at Summerslam 2002 for the Undisputed WWE Championship: Lesnar had been on a roll since he debuted in early 2002 like we had stated earlier. With the victory over Van Dam at the King of the Ring, Lesnar earned a crack at the WWE Undisputed Championship. The Rock had come back from filing the “Scorpion King” in June of ’02 and won the title the following month at the Vengeance event pinning Kurt Angle in a triple threat match that also featured The Undertaker. These guys went 17 minutes with a very rabid Long Island, New York that cheered when Lesnar hit the F5 to pin Rock and become the Undisputed Champion.
Let us know your thoughts on our list.