WWE Wrestlemania 30 took place last night from the Mercedes Benz Superdome in New Orleans, Louisiana. In the main event, Daniel Bryan defeated Randy Orton and Batista to win the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. The show featured “The Streak” ending as Brock Lesnar defeating The Undertaker and John Cena defeating Bray Wyatt.
As we do after every Monday Night Raw, let’s give our the good, the bad and the dirty from the biggest wrestling event of the year.
1) The Main Event: This was the ending that everybody was wanting with 75,000 people chanting YES! The match delivered as all three guys came off really well and got the crowd behind them as they were still reeling from The Undertaker loss to Brock Lesnar. Really liked the added wrinkle of Triple H and Stephanie McMahon coming from the crowd and the stretcher spot was well executed. The only shocking thing was the fact Batista was the guy Bryan submitted, but that was the right move as it means more since that’s Batista’s first defeat since coming back in January. The Daniel Bryan Era now begins!
2) The Opening Segment featuring Hulk Hogan, The Rock and Steve Austin: This was definitely my favorite moment of the night and was the best way to open the show. You had the three biggest stars in our generation in the same ring at the same time. Was a cool moment when Austin and Hogan the staredown as goosebumps were running down my body when that happened and a great moment when they shook hands. It was very symbolic to see The Rock acknowledge what Austin and Hogan did for him at previous WrestleMania’s. Good to see all three acknowledge the current WWE stars and then do the catchphrases and drinking beer in the ring.
3) Daniel Bryan vs Triple H: We had stated all week that this match should start the show. The story building to the match was done to perfection. Thought it was a very good video package showing the career of Bryan leading into the match. The match started with a slow build and was well paced throughout. Stephanie McMahon was very good here making comments at Bryan in certain points in the match. The crowd was very into the match and was good to HHH take the pin with the buskai knee. The post-match attack was the most logical to sell the fact that maybe Bryan wouldn’t compete in the main event or at the very least not be 100% going into the match.
4) Divas Invitational: Felt really bad for the ladies here as they had to follow the Lesnar/Taker match. The crowd was flat and really didn’t care about it whatsoever. The match was a total mess as you had 14 women in there when it would been better having four at the absolute most. The finish was at least correct with AJ Lee retaining the title.
5) The Streak Ending: No one and I mean NO ONE so this coming. When the referee hit the mat for the three count, it seemed like the world was ending. People were ready to stop watching WWE, wanting to break their TV’s, etc. The match wasn’t nothing to get excited about even down the stretch with the near falls as no one was believing that “The Streak” would end. At the end of the day, this was the best move for business and give WWE and The Undertaker credit for pulling the trigger on this.