With the WWE Battleground 2014 pay-per-view just over a week away, the card is now starting to take shape. Following last night’s Smackdown taping, three more matches have been added to July 20 event at the Tampa Bay Times Forum in Tampa, FL.
Here is the card as it stands right now:
* WWE World Heavyweight Championship Fatal 4-Way: John Cena vs. Roman Reigns vs. Kane vs. Randy Orton
* Battle Royal for the Intercontinental Championship:
- Kofi Kingston
- Damien Sandow
- The Great Khali
- Rob Van Dam
- Dolph Ziggler
- Big E
- Curtis Axel
- Alberto Del Rio
- Bo Dallas
* Chris Jericho vs. Bray Wyatt
* Divas Championship: AJ Lee vs. Paige
* Tag Team Titles 2-out-of-3 falls match: The Usos vs. The Wyatt Family (Erick Rowan and Luke Harper)
A few more matches are expected to be announced along with a few more participants in the Battle Royal. I think The Miz makes a lot of sense to be in that match for the IC Title. In fact, I would have him and Cesaro as the favorites, the latter making sense because he has been losing lately which is such a strange way to build up a champion but happens all the time in the WWE.
As for other matches, Seth Rollins vs. Dean Ambrose seems like a no-brainer and should be included. Rusev needs an opponent so maybe be takes on Big E again, maybe in a submission match or something to help spruce it up.
After all the talk that Battleground would be a filler show before the big ones in Summerslam and Night of Champions, it’s actually coming together nicely, especially if the Ambrose / Rollins match is added.