Vitor Belfort was a granted a license on Wednesday morning by the Nevada State Athletic Commission in a unanimous vote. The NSAC told Belfort that he cannot fight before the month of December, has to have his next fight in Las Vegas and will have to subject himself to random blood and urine testing at anytime, anywhere. NSAC also told Belfort that he will have to pay for the testing himself or the UFC will have to foot the bill.
A short time after Belfort received his license, the UFC sent a press release announcing that UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman will defend against Belfort at UFC 181 on December 6th.
During the hearing, Belfort’s lawyer told the commission that they had talked to the UFC yesterday and had a verbal agreement in place to fight Weidman in December.
Belfort was originally supposed to fight Weidman at UFC 173 in May, but the NSAC had halted the use of testosterone replacement therapy (TRT), which “The Phenom” had a therapeutic use exemption for at the time. Belfort was then removed from the fight in order to get in compliance.
Weidman fought at UFC 175 earlier this month defeating Lyoto Machida by unanimous decision. Belfort last fought in November at UFC Fight Night in November defeating Dan Henderson by first round knockout.