Michael and Steve move on without their fearless leader as they discuss Survivor Series 2013, what they think about the finish, the possibility of John Cena vs Randy Orton in a title unification match, how WWE desperately needs more good babyfaces, and whether or not CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan makes good sense for next year’s Wrestlemania. Plus, they talk about the rising stock of young stars like Big E Langston and Roman Reigns, and what it would take to make both men main event superstars.
Survivor Series is three days away on Sunday night from the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts. The main event will feature Randy Orton vs Big Show for the WWE Title. The co-feature will have John Cena vs Alberto Del Rio for the World Hevyweight Championship.
The WWE has released a promo video highlighting the Orton vs Show and Cena vs Del Rio matches.
Monday’s edition of WWE Monday Night Raw was the go home show for this Sunday’s Survivor Series. The show was panned for not really hyping the event, but the people watching on television didn’t seem to mind. The rating came in the same as last week at a 2.73 and averaged 3.8 million viewers. That was up slightly from last week’s average of 3.77 million viewers.
The show was highlighted by a promo at the open of the show with The Authority and WWE champion Randy Orton. The second hour was highlighted by Big Show vs Ryback and the beginning of World heavyweight champion John Cena. The final hour of the show was highlighted by the rest of Cena’s promo, which involved Alberto Del Rio.
The main event of the show featured a 12 man tag team match with CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, The Usos, Goldust and Cody Rhodes vs The Shield and The Wyatt Family.
Does the fact the rating stayed the same with a hot Monday Night Football game that had 15.77 million viewers bode well for the Survivor Series buyrate?
Before the Smackdown tapings take place, the WWE films “Main Event” that will air on ION Television tonight starting at 8 p.m. ET. The tapings took place in Atlanta, Georgia. Here is what took place on WWE Main Event.
- Tamina defeated Naomi in a lumberjill match. The Divas who are in the Survivor Series elimination match were all at ringside serving as the lumberjills.
- Alberto Del Rio defeated Santino Marella. An easy win for Del Rio, who had go away heat in Atlanta thus far.
- Fandango defeated Kofi Kingston. The Miz provided a quick distraction that led to Fandango getting the win. This concluded the Main Event taping.
Results were courtesy of ProWrestling.net.
WWE Survivor Series takes place this Sunday at the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts. Only three matches had been announced heading into last night’s WWE Monday Night Raw. During the show, three matches were made official for the fall classic. Here is the current lineup for Survivor Series.
- Randy Orton vs The Big Show for the WWE Championship
- John Cena vs Alberto Del Rio for the World Heavyweight Championship
- CM Punk and Daniel Bryan vs Erick Rowan and Luke Harper
- The Shield and The Real Americans vs The Usos, Cody Rhodes and Goldust and Rey Mysterio
- The Bella Twins, Cameron, Naomi, JoJo, Eva Marie and Natalya vs. A.J. Lee, Tamina, Kailyn, Rosa Mendes, Aksana, Alicia Fox and Summer Rae in a seven on seven Divas elimination match.
- The Miz vs Kofi Kingston in the Suvivor Series kickoff match
The rating for the November 8th edition of WWE Friday Night Smackdown, it was the highest rating since the March 22nd edition of the show. This past Friday’s edition slipped slightly to a 1.9 rating with an average of 2.68 million viewers. The November 8th show did a 2.1 rating with an average of 2.95 million viewers.
This past week’s show featured an arm wrestling match between World Heavyweight Champion John Cena and Alberto Del Rio, with a main event of CM Punk and Daniel Bryan vs Curtis Axel and Ryback.
Their was competition this week from the NBA, which averaged 1.3 million viewers. Last week their was no game on the network.
WWE Friday Night Smackdown airs tonight on SyFy starting at 8 p.m. ET. The show was taped on Tuesday in Manchester, England. Here is what will be on the show tonight.
- Luke Harper and Erick Rowan vs The Usos
- Natalya vs Tamina Snuka
- RTruth and The PrimeTime Players vs The Union Jacks
- John Cena vs Alberto Del Rio in an arm wrestling match
- Cameron and Naomi vs The Bella Twins
- The Great Khali vs Hunico and Camacho
- CM Punk and Daniel Bryan vs Curtis Axel and Ryback
The WWE held their Smackdown tapings in Manchester, England. The show will air on Friday night on the SyFy channel starting at 8 p.m. ET. Here is what happened at the tapings.
- Luke Harper and Erick Rowan (w/Bray Wyatt) defeated The Usos. The Wyatts dominated the match in large parts and both men toyed with the Usos. Bray rocked in his chair on the floor and laughed while looking sinister. One of the Usos was distracted and ended up taking a boot to the face from Harper for the win.
After the match, Bray entered the ring with a mic. One of the Usos dropkicked him in the stomach. All hell broke loose. Bray came back with Sister Abigail. Wyatt cut a promo about Survivor Series and how they will destroy CM Punk and Daniel Bryan.
- Natalya defeated Tamina Snuka.
- R-Truth and The Prime Time Players defeated The Union Jacks. Heath Slater ended up taking the pin for his team.
- John Cena beat Alberto Del Rio in an arm wrestling challenge. Del Rio claimed he was cheated at Hell in a Cell. Cena called him a liar. The crowd got on Cena and called him boring. The arm wrestling started and Cena won twice with ease to the point that it looked like Del Rio was throwing it. They went for a third match and this time Del Rio attacked Cena, who reversed it and kicked Del Rio’s head. Cena grabbed a chair and missed with it. Del Rio put Cena through the table, then took off his shirt and placed it on top of Cena.
- Cameron and Naomi beat The Bella Twins. Brie took charge but the momentum shifted. The Funkadactyls won with a “jumping bum move.”
- The Great Khali beat Hunico and Camacho in a handicap match. Khali threw Camacho out of the ring, then picked up Hunico by the chin and powerbombed him and got the three count.
- There was a quick clip with Bryan and Punk backstage. They seem to have adopted the team name of ‘Beard and The Best’.
- CM Punk and Daniel Bryan fought Curtis Axel and Ryback to a no-contest when The Wyatt Family interfered. Punk started in ring with Axel. Later, Ryback got upperhand on Punk with a few slams. Ryback tagged in Axel, who also controlled Punk, who countered and built up momentum. He sent Axel and Ryback out of the ring. Bryan and Punk dove through ropes and took out both.
Later, Ryback went for Punk and dropped him with a huge suplex. Punk eventually tagged in Bryan, who went on the assault and caught both Ryback and Axel with drop kicks. Bryan end up going for his submission finisher and the Wyatt Family appeared. Bryan and Punk disappeared. An enraged Wyatt family laid into Axel and Ryback, clearing them out of the ring. Punk and Bryan reappeared behind Harper and Rowen and drop kicked both of them in the back of the legs before scampering off.
Results were courtesy of ProWrestling.net.
The WWE held their Smackdown tapings in Charlotte, North Carloina. The show will air on Friday night on the SyFy channel starting at 8 p.m. ET. Here is what happened at the tapings.
- CM Punk kicked off Smackdown and called out The Wyatt Family for a fight. Curtis Axel came out instead and said he had unfinished business with Punk. Punk won. During the match, the Wyatt’s intro began and the lights went out but they didn’t appear. The lights came back on and Bray was laughing on the big screen. He blew out the lantern and that was it.
- AJ Lee and Tamina Snuka beat Cameron and Naomi. AJ put the Black Widow on Cameron for the win.
- Alberto Del Rio calls out John Cena and runs him down. Cena comes out and is ready to fight, challenging Del Rio to a match, but Vickie Guerrero interrupts to huge boos from the crowd. Vickie makes the match for Survivor Series instead. She announces Del Rio vs. The Great Khali and Cena vs Ryback for tonight because it’s best for business.
- Del Rio beat Khali with the cross armbreaker.
- R-Truth came out to a huge pop from the hometown crowd. He and The Usos defeated 3MB in a quick match.
- Daniel Bryan and Luke Harper fought to a no contest when Erick Rowan interfered. They beat Bryan down until CM Punk made the save. Wyatt watched from the apron and left up the ramp before getting involved.
- John Cena defeated Ryback in the main event after an Attitude Adjustment. Ryback responded to Goldberg chants by hitting a spear and a jackhammer. After the match, Del Rio ran out and attacked Cena, working on his arm around the ring post. Cena came back and Smackdown ended with Del Rio running away.
It was announced last night on WWE Monday Night Raw that Randy Orton will defend the WWE title against Big Show at Survivor Series.
The match was made when Triple H and Stephanie McMahon came to the ring to meet Big Show to resolve the lawsuit that was filed by Show. The WWE Board of Directors had McMahon and Triple H to resolve and come to settlement with Big Show.
They gave Show his job back, but he wanted a title shot at Orton at Survivor Series and Triple H reluctantly gave him the opportunity.
Survivor Series takes on place on Sunday, November 24 from TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts. The only other match confirmed for the event is John Cena defending the World Heavyweight Championship against Alberto Del Rio.
Follow Between The Ropes on Facebook and Twitter.
For the first week back on WWE Monday Night Raw, John Cena made an impact on the ratings. It was announced that Raw did a 2.98 rating with an average of 4.15 million viewers. That is up from last week’s 2.71 rating with an average of 3.82 million.
Cena who hadn’t been on Raw in about two months opened up the show cutting a promo about his world heavyweight championship victory over Alberto Del Rio at Sunday’s Hell In A Cell pay-per-view. While Cena was cutting the apromo, Money In The Bank winner Damien Sandow came out and cashed in his briefcase for a shot at the title.
In what was a very good match, Cena emerged victorious.
The real indication will be next week as it will be Cena’s second week back. Will the next week’s rating increase, decrease or stay the same?
Brian, Steve and Michael recap the WWE Hell in a Cell 2013 PPV including Randy Orton walking away with the WWE Championship, John Cena returning to defeat Alberto Del Rio for the World Heavyweight Championship, CM Punk facing Ryback in Hell in a Cell and getting his hands on Paul Heyman, a fantastic opening tag-team match, added matches, follies and tomfoolery and more.
WWE Friday Night Smackdown airs tonight on SyFy starting at 8 p.m. ET. The show was taped on Tuesday in Birmingham, Alabama. We posted the spoilers from the show earlier in the week. If you didn’t read the spoilers, here is what will be on the show tonight.
- Triple H Interview
- The Usos vs Luke Harper and Erick Rowan
- AJ Lee vs Nikki Bella
- Los Matadores vs Heath Slater and Drew McIntyre
- Ryback and Paul Heyman vs CM Skunk
- Alberto Del Rio Interview
- The Great Khali vs Fandango
- Daniel Bryan, Big E Langston, Cody Rhodes and Goldust vs Randy Orton and The Shield
The WWE held their Smackdown tapings last night in Kansas City, Missouri. The show will air on Friday night on the SyFy channel starting at 8 p.m. ET. Here is what happened at last night’s tapings.
- Smackdown opens with Vickie Guerrero and Brad Maddox together. They talk about what Big Show did at the end of RAW on Monday. Daniel Bryan comes out to a big pop. Big Show’s music hits but he doesn’t come out. The say he’s banned from the arena tonight. WWE Tag Team Champions Cody Rhodes and Goldust are out next. Maddox and Vickie make The Shield vs. Bryan, Rhodes and Goldust for tonight’s main event.
- Luke Harper and Erick Rowan defeated The Miz and Kofi Kingston in a solid tag team match. Bray Wyatt watched the match from his rocking chair.
- Brie Bella defeated AJ Lee in a non-title match.
- Big Show comes to the ring through the crowd and says he’s filed a lawsuit against Triple H and Stephanie McMahon. Maddox and Vickie come back out to confront him. Show says he has nothing to lose and hits Maddox with the knockout punch.
- CM Punk defeated Big E Langston.
- Josh Mathews interviews World Heavyweight Champion Alberto Del Rio in the ring about his match with John Cena at Hell In a Cell. Cena appears on the big screen and upsets Del Rio. Del Rio ends up taking Mathews out.
- The Usos defeated Jack Swagger and Antonio Cesaro when Los Matadores came out with El Torito to distract The Real Americans.
- Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes and Goldust defeated The Shield in the main event.
Results were from WrestlingInc.com.
WWE Friday Night Smackdown airs tonight on SyFy starting at 8 p.m. ET. The show was taped on Tuesday from the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio. We posted the spoilers from the show earlier in the week. If you didn’t read the spoilers, here is what will be on the show tonight.
- Vickie Guerrero promo
- Curtis Axel vs R-Truth for the Intercontinental Title
- Los Matadores vs Los Locales
- Natalya, Eva Marie, and Kaitlyn vs Cameron, Naomi, and Brie Bella
- Cody Rhodes and Goldust backstage interview
- Alberto Del Rio vs. Damien Sandow
- The Prime Time Players and Great Khali vs. 3MB
- Luke Harper and Erick Rowan vs. Cody Rhodes and Goldust
The WWE held their Smackdown tapings last night from the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio. The show will air on Friday night on the SyFy channel starting at 8 p.m. ET. Here is what happened at last night’s tapings.
- Vickie Guerrero kicks off SmackDown with a recap of her and Alberto Del Rio from RAW. She says Big Show needed to be fired a long time ago. She says his house is already for sale. Del Rio interrupts and wants the match against John Cena at Hell In a Cell to be canceled. Del Rio kisses Vickie on the lips. She wants him to kiss her rear. Damien Sandow interrupts and Vickie makes Sandow vs. Del Rio for tonight. Del Rio lays out Sandow with a mic and attacks him.
- Curtis Axel defeated R-Truth with the Intercontinental Title on the line.
- Los Matadores defeated El Locals. One of the El Locals was Ricardo Rodriguez under a mask.
- They air a recap of Shawn Michaels’ campaign speech on RAW.
- Goldust and Cody Rhodes vs. Luke Harper and Erick Rowan is announced for SmackDown.
- Cameron, Naomi and Brie Bella beat Eva Marie, Natalya and Kaitlyn when Naomi pinned Kaitlyn.
- Renee Young interviews Goldust and Cody Rhodes backstage.
- Damien Sandow vs. Alberto Del Rio is next. Del Rio gets the win. Sandow ended up getting cheered mid-match.
- A recap of John Cena on Good Morning America is shown.
- The Great Khali, Darren Young and Titus O’Neil defeated 3MB. Khali got the pin on Heath Slater after a big cop.
- Cody Rhodes and Goldust defeated Luke Harper and Erick Rowan in the main event. Cody got the pin on Harper for the win.
A quick podcast as Brian Fritz and Michael Wiseman talk about the unexpected return of John Cena who will face Alberto Del Rio for the World Heavyweight Championship at the Hell in a Cell PPV just more than two months after torn triceps surgery, possible scenarios for the match, if he is back as a regular or will be taking more time off and more.