WWE superstar Cody Rhodes talks about this Sunday’s Survivor Series pay-per-view, being a part of a traditional elimination team match on the show, the holidays growing up in a wrestling family, why he hugged Rey Mysterio on Raw when the two men feuded the last time they were around one another, on what happened with the Bed Bath and Beyond card the McMahons got him and his wife for a wedding present, teaming with Goldust, whether or not they could face one another at WrestleMania XXX and the end of his mustache.
With a little less than two weeks away heading into WWE Survivor Series, fans felt that WWE was really going to go all out to get fans interested in the pay-per-view event. The rating though didn’t reflect that.
Raw drew a 2.7 rating with an average of 3.77 million viewers, which is down from last week’s 2.8 rating with an average of 3.89 million viewers. The first hour of the show averaged 3.87 million viewers featuring Randy Orton vs Cody Rhodes and Goldust, the second hour averaged 3.83 million viewers featuring John Cena vs The Real Americans and the last hour averaged 3.60 million viewers with the main event of CM Punk and Daniel Bryan vs The Shield.
Is this a cause of concern for the WWE heading into Survivor Series?
The WWE held their Smackdown tapings in Tampa, Florida. The show will air on Friday night on the SyFy channel starting at 8 p.m. ET. Here is what happened at the tapings.
- Michael Cole interviewed Triple H, who announced that Big Show was banned for life.
- World champion John Cena came out and said he was putting everyone on notice. The Real Americans come out and offer Cena a position in their group. He refuses. Damien Sandow came out and called Cena a false champion and vowed to take the title from him. Cody Rhodes and Goldust came out, which led to Vickie Guerrero making a six man tag for tonight.
- The Shield cut a promo saying they are sick of the Usos. They said they can beat any team and they will prove it tonight.
- The Usos defeated Dean Ambrose & Seth Rollins of The Shield. Jimmy pinned Ambrose with a rollup. Big E. Langston had come down to even sides and had a staredown with Roman Reigns. They were held apart.
- They announced Miz TV with Shawn Michaels.
- The Wyatt Family defeated The Prime Time Players when Luke Harper pinned Titus O’Neal after a lariat. Bray Wyatt nailed Sister Abigail after the match.
- They announced MizTV with Shawn Michaels but Miz says that Michaels has left the venue. He says that Michaels is the only reason the WWE champion is now Randy Orton. Orton came out. He says that he proved he was better than Daniel Bryan and reminded Miz that people cheered when he was beat up in front of his own family, then he nailed an RKO on Miz and left him laying.
- Natalya & The Bella defeated Alicia Fox & Tamina & WWE Divas champ AJ Lee. Natalya forced AJ to tap to the Sharpshooter.
- John Cena & Rhodes Boys defeated Real Americans & Damien Sandow when Cena nailed the AA on Swagger after escaping the Patriot Act.
Results were courtesy of PWInsider.com.
WWE Friday Night Smackdown airs tonight on SyFy starting at 8 p.m. ET. The show was taped on Tuesday in Birmingham, Alabama. We posted the spoilers from the show earlier in the week. If you didn’t read the spoilers, here is what will be on the show tonight.
- Triple H Interview
- The Usos vs Luke Harper and Erick Rowan
- AJ Lee vs Nikki Bella
- Los Matadores vs Heath Slater and Drew McIntyre
- Ryback and Paul Heyman vs CM Skunk
- Alberto Del Rio Interview
- The Great Khali vs Fandango
- Daniel Bryan, Big E Langston, Cody Rhodes and Goldust vs Randy Orton and The Shield
The WWE held their Smackdown tapings last night in Birmingham, Alabama. The show will air on Friday night on the SyFy channel starting at 8 p.m. ET. Here is what happened at last night’s tapings.
- The show opened with Michael Cole interviewing Triple H in the ring. They were seated in chairs for the sit-down interview. Triple H said six people were fired for setting up the production for Big Show. He noted that Show filed a lawsuit. He said Show is irrelevant and he remains fired and he can’t comment further.
- They spoke briefly of the Alberto Del Rio vs. John Cena match and moved onto Daniel Bryan and Shawn Michaels. Hunter said Michaels will do the right thing. Daniel Bryan’s music hit. Hunter stayed in his seat. Bryan cut a promo saying he will prove Hunter wrong at Hell in a Cell. Bryan had a staredown and Triple H left to yes chants
- The Uso Brothers defeated Luke Harper and Erick Rowan (w/Bray Wyatt). Miz was at ringside and kicked Wyatt. Rowan chased Miz, and the Uso’s double teamed Harper and got the three count.
- A.J. Lee (w/Tamina Snuka) beat Nikki Bella (w/Brie Bella). A.J. picked up the win with the Black Widow in three minutes.
- Los Matadores defeated Heath Slater and Drew McIntyre. Zeb Colter and The Real Americans watched the match from the stage. A quick win for Los Matadores. They are kinda over with the crowd. Zeb cut promo saying the Americans will prevail at Hell in a Cell.
- Backstage, The Wyatt Family had Miz chained up in a dark cage with “liar” painted on his stomach.
- Ryback and Paul Heyman defeated C.M. Skunk in a No DQ handicap match. Yeah, that’s right C.M. Skunk, a local jobber with skunk hair. The crowd really popped when Punk’s music hit, but it was merely a squash match for Heyman and Ryback. Afterward, Heyman cut promo on Punk, saying he is Best in the World. He absolutely had the most heat of the night thus far.
- Big E Langston told Vickie Guerrero that he wants in the main event match now that Miz is out. She agreed after he told her that she is nothing like Brad Maddox.
- Alberto Del Rio delivered a promo on the stage. Pretty standard mic work from Del Rio.
- The Great Khali (w/Natalya) fought Fandango (w/Summer Rae) to an apparent no-contest. Summer Rae slapped Natalya and they fought inside the ring, which led to the apparent no-contest. Khali chopped Fandango to end the segment.
- Daniel Bryan, Big E Langston, Cody Rhodes, and Goldust defeated Randy Orton, Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns, and Dean Ambrose in an eight-man tag. Bryan pinned Orton to win the match. A standard eight-man tag with near falls. Overall, a good match live.
Results from ProWrestling.net.
Before the Smackdown tapings take place, the WWE films “Main Event” that will air on ION Television tonight starting at 8 p.m. ET. The tapings took place in Birmingham, Alabama. Here is what took place on WWE Main Event.
- Seth Rollins (w/Roman Reigns) defeated Goldust (w/Cody Rhodes) in roughly five minutes. Huge pops for Goldust and Cody. The Shield received an okay pop too. Back and forth action and the crowd was really into Goldust. Rollins won with a rollup after Goldust was distracted by Cody and Reigns brawling at ringside.
- A John Cena video promo was shown and the crowd really booed him.
- The Real Americans defeated The Prime Time Players. The Real Americans came out to not much heat. The Players were next they didn’t get the reaction I expected. The Real Americans were in control to begin. A “We The People” chant started and then the crowd had a small pop for the hot tag to Titus O’Neil, but he got caught in Antonio’s spin before Swagger put him away with the Patriot lock in about seven minutes.
- Cameron and Naomi defeated Alicia Fox and Aksana. A typical Divas match with Cameron pinning Aksana in four minutes.
- Damien Sandow defeated Dolph Ziggler. Dolph received a huge pop and Sandow got a lot of hate. In fact, it was the most heat of the night. Back and forth action from both guys with Sandow picking up the win in about five minutes.
Results from ProWrestling.net.
WWE Friday Night Smackdown airs tonight on SyFy starting at 8 p.m. ET. The show was taped on Tuesday in Kansas City, Missouri. We posted the spoilers from the show earlier in the week. If you didn’t read the spoilers, here is what will be on the show tonight.
- Vickie Guerrero and Brad Maddox promo
- Luke Harper and Erick Rowan vs The Miz and Kofi Kingston
- Brie Bella vs AJ Lee (Non-Title Bout)
- The Big Show promo
- CM Punk vs Big E Langston
- Alberto Del Rio promo
- The Usos vs The Real Americans
- Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes and Goldust vs The Shield
The WWE held their Smackdown tapings last night in Kansas City, Missouri. The show will air on Friday night on the SyFy channel starting at 8 p.m. ET. Here is what happened at last night’s tapings.
- Smackdown opens with Vickie Guerrero and Brad Maddox together. They talk about what Big Show did at the end of RAW on Monday. Daniel Bryan comes out to a big pop. Big Show’s music hits but he doesn’t come out. The say he’s banned from the arena tonight. WWE Tag Team Champions Cody Rhodes and Goldust are out next. Maddox and Vickie make The Shield vs. Bryan, Rhodes and Goldust for tonight’s main event.
- Luke Harper and Erick Rowan defeated The Miz and Kofi Kingston in a solid tag team match. Bray Wyatt watched the match from his rocking chair.
- Brie Bella defeated AJ Lee in a non-title match.
- Big Show comes to the ring through the crowd and says he’s filed a lawsuit against Triple H and Stephanie McMahon. Maddox and Vickie come back out to confront him. Show says he has nothing to lose and hits Maddox with the knockout punch.
- CM Punk defeated Big E Langston.
- Josh Mathews interviews World Heavyweight Champion Alberto Del Rio in the ring about his match with John Cena at Hell In a Cell. Cena appears on the big screen and upsets Del Rio. Del Rio ends up taking Mathews out.
- The Usos defeated Jack Swagger and Antonio Cesaro when Los Matadores came out with El Torito to distract The Real Americans.
- Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes and Goldust defeated The Shield in the main event.
Results were from WrestlingInc.com.
WWE Friday Night Smackdown airs tonight on SyFy starting at 8 p.m. ET. The show was taped on Tuesday from the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio. We posted the spoilers from the show earlier in the week. If you didn’t read the spoilers, here is what will be on the show tonight.
- Vickie Guerrero promo
- Curtis Axel vs R-Truth for the Intercontinental Title
- Los Matadores vs Los Locales
- Natalya, Eva Marie, and Kaitlyn vs Cameron, Naomi, and Brie Bella
- Cody Rhodes and Goldust backstage interview
- Alberto Del Rio vs. Damien Sandow
- The Prime Time Players and Great Khali vs. 3MB
- Luke Harper and Erick Rowan vs. Cody Rhodes and Goldust
The WWE held their Smackdown tapings last night from the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio. The show will air on Friday night on the SyFy channel starting at 8 p.m. ET. Here is what happened at last night’s tapings.
- Vickie Guerrero kicks off SmackDown with a recap of her and Alberto Del Rio from RAW. She says Big Show needed to be fired a long time ago. She says his house is already for sale. Del Rio interrupts and wants the match against John Cena at Hell In a Cell to be canceled. Del Rio kisses Vickie on the lips. She wants him to kiss her rear. Damien Sandow interrupts and Vickie makes Sandow vs. Del Rio for tonight. Del Rio lays out Sandow with a mic and attacks him.
- Curtis Axel defeated R-Truth with the Intercontinental Title on the line.
- Los Matadores defeated El Locals. One of the El Locals was Ricardo Rodriguez under a mask.
- They air a recap of Shawn Michaels’ campaign speech on RAW.
- Goldust and Cody Rhodes vs. Luke Harper and Erick Rowan is announced for SmackDown.
- Cameron, Naomi and Brie Bella beat Eva Marie, Natalya and Kaitlyn when Naomi pinned Kaitlyn.
- Renee Young interviews Goldust and Cody Rhodes backstage.
- Damien Sandow vs. Alberto Del Rio is next. Del Rio gets the win. Sandow ended up getting cheered mid-match.
- A recap of John Cena on Good Morning America is shown.
- The Great Khali, Darren Young and Titus O’Neil defeated 3MB. Khali got the pin on Heath Slater after a big cop.
- Cody Rhodes and Goldust defeated Luke Harper and Erick Rowan in the main event. Cody got the pin on Harper for the win.
Hold on to your cowboy hats, folks – last night’s WWE RAW stoked up the hype train in a big way. The show opening, with Big Show getting “fired” by Stephanie McMahon, left me with mixed feelings. I liked the idea here (especially since it set the tone for Show’s re-emergence later in the evening). Unfortunately, Stephanie and Show both had their best Brendan Frasier acting hat on. There are ways to sell moments as believable without being over the top, but that subtlety was overlooked here. [Read more...]
Hot opening to last night’s WWE, with Damien Sandow and Dolph Ziggler squaring off in a ‘battle of the dog house’ match. Both men have been on an incredible losing streak – that is, incredible in the “I can’t believe these two men are getting buried like this” way. But credit to both Ziggler and Sandow here. They took a terrible slot and made it entertaining, and did their duty by selling a few more Pay-Per-Views along the way. I’m also happy Ziggler walked away with the much deserved win. This might not have been the match of the night, but it was at least in the top three. [Read more...]
The Between The Ropes staff including Brian Fritz, Steve Muehlhausen and Michael Wiseman review WWE Battleground 2013 including Daniel Bryan and Randy Orton going to a no-finish in the main event for the WWE Championship, CM Punk defeating Ryback, Alberto Del Rio retaining the World Heavyweight Championship against Rob Van Dam and what that could mean for RVD’s future with the company, the Rhodes family getting a big win against The Shield and more.