Michael and Steve move on without their fearless leader as they discuss Survivor Series 2013, what they think about the finish, the possibility of John Cena vs Randy Orton in a title unification match, how WWE desperately needs more good babyfaces, and whether or not CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan makes good sense for next year’s Wrestlemania. Plus, they talk about the rising stock of young stars like Big E Langston and Roman Reigns, and what it would take to make both men main event superstars.
In one of the least anticipated WWE pay-per-view main events in a long time, Randy Orton defeated Big Show in the main event of Survivor Series tonight. The match started out slow as the fans were chanting “boring”, “Daniel Bryan”, “CM Punk” and “TNA”. The action started to pick up a bit when Orton had Show on the turnbuckle for his patented DDT. Orton seemed to go back too far, which caused Show’s body to collapse, which caused a chorus of boos inside the TD Garden Arena in Boston.
Out of nowhere, Show landed a chokeslam to which Orton kicked out. Show then got ready to do the WMD, but Orton slid out of the ring and Show followed him out. Show threw Orton into the ropes, which caused referee Charles Robinson to be knocked out. The challenger then tossed Orton into the crowd, where he gave Orton a chop to the chest. The champion then was able reverse the action and clotheslined Show on the barricade.
Show then recovered landed the WMD on Orton. Show then dragged Orton into the ring and then a moment later, Triple H’s music hit and he came out with Stephanie McMahon and Kane. That distracted Show, when Orton came out of nowhere and landed the RKO on Show. Orton then had Show setup and punted him in the head to score the pinfall to retain the WWE championship.
The match ended and The Authority was clapping and cheering Orton when World Heavyweight Champion John Cena approached the ring. Cena entered the ring and had a face to face confrontation with Orton. Both guys held up their respective titles, with Orton stared down Cena with a vengeance and Cena was smiling at Orton to end the pay-per-view.
Survivor Series is three days away on Sunday night from the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts. The main event will feature Randy Orton vs Big Show for the WWE Title. The co-feature will have John Cena vs Alberto Del Rio for the World Hevyweight Championship.
The WWE has released a promo video highlighting the Orton vs Show and Cena vs Del Rio matches.
Monday’s edition of WWE Monday Night Raw was the go home show for this Sunday’s Survivor Series. The show was panned for not really hyping the event, but the people watching on television didn’t seem to mind. The rating came in the same as last week at a 2.73 and averaged 3.8 million viewers. That was up slightly from last week’s average of 3.77 million viewers.
The show was highlighted by a promo at the open of the show with The Authority and WWE champion Randy Orton. The second hour was highlighted by Big Show vs Ryback and the beginning of World heavyweight champion John Cena. The final hour of the show was highlighted by the rest of Cena’s promo, which involved Alberto Del Rio.
The main event of the show featured a 12 man tag team match with CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, The Usos, Goldust and Cody Rhodes vs The Shield and The Wyatt Family.
Does the fact the rating stayed the same with a hot Monday Night Football game that had 15.77 million viewers bode well for the Survivor Series buyrate?
WWE Survivor Series takes place this Sunday at the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts. Only three matches had been announced heading into last night’s WWE Monday Night Raw. During the show, three matches were made official for the fall classic. Here is the current lineup for Survivor Series.
- Randy Orton vs The Big Show for the WWE Championship
- John Cena vs Alberto Del Rio for the World Heavyweight Championship
- CM Punk and Daniel Bryan vs Erick Rowan and Luke Harper
- The Shield and The Real Americans vs The Usos, Cody Rhodes and Goldust and Rey Mysterio
- The Bella Twins, Cameron, Naomi, JoJo, Eva Marie and Natalya vs. A.J. Lee, Tamina, Kailyn, Rosa Mendes, Aksana, Alicia Fox and Summer Rae in a seven on seven Divas elimination match.
- The Miz vs Kofi Kingston in the Suvivor Series kickoff match
The rating for the November 8th edition of WWE Friday Night Smackdown, it was the highest rating since the March 22nd edition of the show. This past Friday’s edition slipped slightly to a 1.9 rating with an average of 2.68 million viewers. The November 8th show did a 2.1 rating with an average of 2.95 million viewers.
This past week’s show featured an arm wrestling match between World Heavyweight Champion John Cena and Alberto Del Rio, with a main event of CM Punk and Daniel Bryan vs Curtis Axel and Ryback.
Their was competition this week from the NBA, which averaged 1.3 million viewers. Last week their was no game on the network.
WWE Friday Night Smackdown airs tonight on SyFy starting at 8 p.m. ET. The show was taped on Tuesday in Manchester, England. Here is what will be on the show tonight.
- Luke Harper and Erick Rowan vs The Usos
- Natalya vs Tamina Snuka
- RTruth and The PrimeTime Players vs The Union Jacks
- John Cena vs Alberto Del Rio in an arm wrestling match
- Cameron and Naomi vs The Bella Twins
- The Great Khali vs Hunico and Camacho
- CM Punk and Daniel Bryan vs Curtis Axel and Ryback
The WWE held their Smackdown tapings in Manchester, England. The show will air on Friday night on the SyFy channel starting at 8 p.m. ET. Here is what happened at the tapings.
- Luke Harper and Erick Rowan (w/Bray Wyatt) defeated The Usos. The Wyatts dominated the match in large parts and both men toyed with the Usos. Bray rocked in his chair on the floor and laughed while looking sinister. One of the Usos was distracted and ended up taking a boot to the face from Harper for the win.
After the match, Bray entered the ring with a mic. One of the Usos dropkicked him in the stomach. All hell broke loose. Bray came back with Sister Abigail. Wyatt cut a promo about Survivor Series and how they will destroy CM Punk and Daniel Bryan.
- Natalya defeated Tamina Snuka.
- R-Truth and The Prime Time Players defeated The Union Jacks. Heath Slater ended up taking the pin for his team.
- John Cena beat Alberto Del Rio in an arm wrestling challenge. Del Rio claimed he was cheated at Hell in a Cell. Cena called him a liar. The crowd got on Cena and called him boring. The arm wrestling started and Cena won twice with ease to the point that it looked like Del Rio was throwing it. They went for a third match and this time Del Rio attacked Cena, who reversed it and kicked Del Rio’s head. Cena grabbed a chair and missed with it. Del Rio put Cena through the table, then took off his shirt and placed it on top of Cena.
- Cameron and Naomi beat The Bella Twins. Brie took charge but the momentum shifted. The Funkadactyls won with a “jumping bum move.”
- The Great Khali beat Hunico and Camacho in a handicap match. Khali threw Camacho out of the ring, then picked up Hunico by the chin and powerbombed him and got the three count.
- There was a quick clip with Bryan and Punk backstage. They seem to have adopted the team name of ‘Beard and The Best’.
- CM Punk and Daniel Bryan fought Curtis Axel and Ryback to a no-contest when The Wyatt Family interfered. Punk started in ring with Axel. Later, Ryback got upperhand on Punk with a few slams. Ryback tagged in Axel, who also controlled Punk, who countered and built up momentum. He sent Axel and Ryback out of the ring. Bryan and Punk dove through ropes and took out both.
Later, Ryback went for Punk and dropped him with a huge suplex. Punk eventually tagged in Bryan, who went on the assault and caught both Ryback and Axel with drop kicks. Bryan end up going for his submission finisher and the Wyatt Family appeared. Bryan and Punk disappeared. An enraged Wyatt family laid into Axel and Ryback, clearing them out of the ring. Punk and Bryan reappeared behind Harper and Rowen and drop kicked both of them in the back of the legs before scampering off.
Results were courtesy of ProWrestling.net.
With a little less than two weeks away heading into WWE Survivor Series, fans felt that WWE was really going to go all out to get fans interested in the pay-per-view event. The rating though didn’t reflect that.
Raw drew a 2.7 rating with an average of 3.77 million viewers, which is down from last week’s 2.8 rating with an average of 3.89 million viewers. The first hour of the show averaged 3.87 million viewers featuring Randy Orton vs Cody Rhodes and Goldust, the second hour averaged 3.83 million viewers featuring John Cena vs The Real Americans and the last hour averaged 3.60 million viewers with the main event of CM Punk and Daniel Bryan vs The Shield.
Is this a cause of concern for the WWE heading into Survivor Series?
The show had the lead-in of the season finale of “Keeping Up With The Kardashians, which drew an average of 2.3 million viewers.
The return of “Total Divas” highlighted the Summerslam main event of John Cena vs Daniel Bryan as Nikki Bella is dating Cena and Brie is with Bryan. The episode always shows the rise of Eva Marie who had completed a shoot for Maxim magazine.
Will the show continue the solid rating without the Kardashians lead-in?
The WWE is on a European tour and it hit Munich, Germany on Saturday. The event had ended and World Heavyweight Champion John Cena was in the ring cutting a promo. Cena had Antonio Cesaro come out to the ring and speak German to the fans. While Cesaro was talking, Cena then interrupted him saying that Cesaro has the making of a future world champion.
Watch the video above and see what else Cena says to Cesaro and much more.
For a second time this week, WWE kicked off the show with CM Punk. And while his promo here against The Wyatts was decent, the follow-up match with Curtis Axel was nothing to write home about. We’ve seen these guys do this exact same thing almost every week. Furthermore, Axel continues to look like a tool for coming out and essentially sacrificing himself at the altar of Paul Heyman every week. The IC title is in bad, bad shape, folks. [Read more...]
The WWE taped tonight’s edition of Smackdown on Tuesday from Charlotte, North Carolina. You can watch the show starting at 8 p.m. ET on SyFy. Here is what will take place on tonight’s show.
- CM Punk vs Curtis Axel
- AJ Lee and Tamina vs Camerton and Naomi
- Alberto Del Rio vs The Great Khali
- R-Truth and The Usos vs 3MB
- Daniel Bryan vs Luke Harper
- John Cena vs Ryback
Brian, Michael and Steve look back at Raw from Monday night including the feud between Triple H and The Big Show and a mini dressed as a bull trying to hump a woman on live TV(!), Rey Mysterio’s return,WWE reverting back to big guys on the top, TNA Wrestling’s latest ruse to fans, if the company is for sale or not and much more.
Subscribe to Between The Ropes on iTunes so you can automatically get the latest podcasts. You can also subscribe to Between The Ropes on Stitcher. Also subscribe to the Between The Ropes YouTube page.