Brian and Steve talk about WWE Raw from Monday night which saw the return of Batista, the buildup for this Sunday’s Royal Rumble PPV including John Cena and Randy Orton as they get set to square off for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship, Daniel Bryan’s explanation for being with the Wyatt Family, more matches for the Rumble show, the entrants right now for the Royal Rumble match itself and others that could be added, more on Hulk Hogan, Sting, the American Wolves debut in TNA Wrestling and your questions.
The second biggest WWE pay-per-view takes this Sunday as the 27th annual Royal Rumble will commence. Before the pay-per-view begins, a kickoff match will take place as Cody Rhodes and Goldust will defend their WWE Tag Team Titles against The New Age Outlaws.
WWE always has a panel that breaks down the pay-per-view and talk during certain parts of the show. The panle features past Royal Rumble winners Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Ric Flair and Shawn Michaels.
Here are the latest matches that will take place at the event.
-Cody Rhodes and Goldust vs The New Age Outlaws for the WWE Tag Team Championship- Kickoff Match
-Daniel Bryan vs Bray Wyatt
-Brock Lesnar vs The Big Show
-John Cena vs Randy Orton for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship
-30 man Royal Rumble
We will update you if any other matches get added to the show.
Brian and Steve recap WWE Raw from Monday night including the big turn for Daniel Bryan and the reaction from it, possibly ramifications from this change, more on Raw including the Randy Orton angle involving John Cena and his dad, Ryback ridiculed and talk about the WWE Network from the show and the company’s conference call. Plus, your questions as well!
The WWE last night made the long awaited announcement of the WWE Network. The network will debut on February 24. You will hear from Vince McMahon, Stephanie McMahon, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin and John Cena. Listen in as the announcement is made, when the Network will debut and much more.
The WWE will be making a “Groundbreaking Announcement” tonight from the Wynn Hotel And Casino in Las Vegas At the CES Convention at 9:30 p.m. ET. It is expected that the announcement will be the launch of the WWE Network. Expected to be there are Vince and Stephanie McMahon, Triple H, “Stone Cold” Steve Austion, John Cena and Shawn Michaels.
You can watch on the video stream above and BetweenTheRopes.com will be updating you throughout the announcement and the aftermath.
The WWE released today Triple H’s weekly sitdown video interview with Michael Cole. Cole tried to pry what the big announcement that will be taking place tonight at 9:30 p.m. ET in Las Vegas at the CES convention. It is expected that the announcement will be the launch of the WWE network.
HHH stated that he will be there with his wife Stephanie McMahon, Vince McMahon, Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold Steve Austin and John Cena. Cole tried to get HHH to divulge the news. All HHH would say is that big surprises will be revealed and this will change the WWE forever.
We will have live coverage of tonight’s announcement on BetweenTheRopes.com at 9:30 p.m. ET.
The WWE sent out a text message from the WWE App earlier today stating that a “groundbreaking announcement” will take this Wednesday night from Las Vegas. Vince McMahon, John Cena, Steve Austin, Shawn Michaels and Triple H will be at the event. You will be able to watch the event live on WWE.com, WWE You Tube page, the WWE App, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo!, Google+, Pinterest and Pheed starting at 9:30 p.m. ET.
This announcement will be made at the CES convention that is currently going on right now and this is expected to be the long awaited announcement of the WWE Network.
BetweenTheRopes.com will have live coverage of the event.
For every rivalry that takes place, for every great promo delivered in (and out of) the ring, and for every backstage news that sends fans to Twitter in a frenzy, the most important drama takes place when fireworks disappear and the lights go down. A collar-and-elbow position signals the oldest type of storytelling in the business. It means that two wrestlers are going to finally settle their business, and no matter happens between the opening and closing bells, fans in attendance and at home better buckle their seat-belts. And so with that in mind, we pick the battles that won over our hearts and minds this year… [Read more...]
One of the main reasons wrestling fans tune in each week is because they love to be surprised. And because of its scripted nature, professional wrestling can offer those big, shocking moments in a much more strategic way that most other sports programs. Cliffhangers you can’t miss? Good guy/bad guy turns? Dramatic run-ins and historic battles? They’re all a piece of the squared-circle fabric. While the internet made genuine surprises much harder to pull off in 2013, than, say, decades prior, a handful of moments still kept us on the edge of our seats. [Read more...]
The WWE main-event picture found itself flush with talent this year, as CM Punk, The Rock, John Cena, Daniel Bryan, and even Ryback all shared the spotlight. While the product found itself in a lull at times, a few superstars really made their mark in 2013. [Read more...]
The WWE taped tonight’s Monday Night Raw on Tuesday night from Austin, Texas. Here are the matches that will be on tonight’s show starting at 8 p.m. ET on USA.
-A.J. Lee, Tamina, Aksana, Rosa Mendes, Alicia Fox, and another Diva vs. The Bella Twins, Natalya, Cameron, Naomi, and Eva Marie in a 12 Diva Jingle Bells match.
-Sin Cara vs. Curtis Axel.
-Daniel Bryan, Goldust, and Cody Rhodes vs. The Wyatt Family.
-Fandango vs. Dolph Ziggler in a Present on a Pole match for an Intercontinental Title shot on the December 30 Raw.
-The Uso Brothers vs. The Prime Time Players.
-”Good Santa” Mark Henry vs. “Bad Santa” Damien Sandow.
-The Real Americans vs. Los Matadores.
-Ryback vs. Kofi Kingston.
-John Cena, C.M. Punk, and Big E Langston vs. The Shield.
The WWE held their Smackdown tapings last night in Corpus Christi, Texas. The show will air on next Friday on the SyFy channel starting at 8 p.m. ET. Here is what happened at the tapings.
-John Cena came out to a loud pop. Corpus is always pro Cena. He included a Hulk Hogan reference in his promo while talking about last week’s Raw (next week really due to the taping schedule). He asked for a title match with Randy Orton tonight. The Shield came out to beat Cena. Mark Henry came out for the save but got beaten down. Big E Langston came out and the babyfaces took care of business. Kane came out to make the matches for tonight – Big E vs. Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns vs. Mark Henry, and Seth Rollins will face Cena all in singles matches (when The Shield left, they walked right next to us)…
-Luke Harper and Erick Rowan (w/Bray Wyatt) defeated The Uso Brothers. The Uso Brothers received a good pop. The Wyatt Family took care of business quickly. Bray entered the ring afterward to hit Sister Abigail to end the segment…
-Randy Orton was interviewed by Renee Young. He was interrupted soon after by Dolph Ziggler, and a match between the two was set up by Kane.
-Antonio Cesaro defeated Cody Rhodes. Cesaro won the match in roughly five minutes.
-The Prime Time Players defeated Curtis Axel and Ryback. Darren Young rolled up Axel for the win.
-WWE World Heavyweight Champion Randy Orton defeated Dolph Ziggler. Orton came out with both belts on his shoulder. Ziggler now has a strain of pink in his hair (if he wants to get over he has to be a serious face or heel to get back to where he was when he was a championship contender, no change since he turned face). A great match. They have had some in the past and this is right along with them. The ending saw when Orton hit his RKO for the win.
-After the match Orton hits Ziggler with an RKO and then took him outside and threw Ziggler in an ugly manner (and I mean it looked like it hurt bad for Ziggler). The segment concluded there. Ziggler has to be hurting somewhat for it to end the way it did.
-Daniel Bryan beat Damien Sandow. Bryan out to one of loudest pops of the night. Video footage was shown of this past Monday’s raw (next week). A great match with Bryan hitting his running knee. Bray Wyatt came out with the family to deliver a good promo that got some good heat.
-Big E Langston (w/John Cena, Mark Henry) beat Dean Ambrose (w/Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins). A good match. After they were all on floor, Langston got him in ring and hit the Big Ending for the win.
-Roman Reigns (w/Ambrose, Rollins) beat Mark Henry (w/Cena, Langston). A good match as well, that saw both go back and forth with their offense, but Henry is a beast and picked him up like he was Daniel Bryan. He is truly is strong as hell. Reigns came back with some nice moves followed by the spear for the win. I can hear the support for Reigns and rightfully, so as they set him up more and more as the breakout of The Shield. Mark Henry did a great job of selling the Reigns spear.
-John Cena (w/Langston, Henry) defeated Seth Rollins (w/Ambrose, Reigns). Another great match (I have been coming to events here since ’94 and I must say I am impressed with the matches, they have been better than I thought they would be considering the holiday season). Me and my buddies Robert and Sonny are impressed, and here in Corpus Christi the crowd is more hyped than it has been in years as well. Cena got a great pop as he hit Rollins with the Attitude Adjustment for the win. The faces celebrated. The Shield came by and I touched Reigns, who was full of sweat. I wiped it on my buddy Robert Chapa (haha). We said great match to Rollins and Reigns as they were close to us more so than Ambrose.
Results were courtesy of ProWrestling.net.
A lot to get to on this week’s BTR Flagship show with Brian, Steve and Michael as they talk about the Variety.com article regarding the WWE negotiating it’s new TV deals, if there is too much programming especially with the WWE Network about to launch, who could possibly appear at the Royal Rumble, rumors of the return of a big name at WrestleMania, if Shawn Michaels may get back in the ring one more time and more. All this while Brian battles the internet just to be on the video!
Feel free to leave your comments below.
Expectations weren’t good headed into the 2013 WWE Survivor Series due to the top matches on the card. The event was headlined by Randy Orton defending the WWE championship against Big Show. The co-feature had John Cena defending the World heavyweight championship against Alberto Del Rio.
Those expectations were spot on as WrestlingObserver.com is reporting that the preliminary buyrate for the event did 179,000 buys, which is down from last year. The 2012 edition of the show did 208,000 buys.
This year’s show did 95,000 buys domestically and 84,000 buys internationally.
The WWE held their Smackdown tapings last night in San Antonio, Texas. The show will air on tomorrow night on the SyFy channel starting at 8 p.m. ET. Here is what happened at the tapings.
- Randy Orton made his way to the ring and cut a promo. Orton said that winning the championship awarded him nothing but a match with Daniel Bryan. John Cena interrupted Orton. Cena said he’s out here because he’s gonna prevent Orton from looking like a fool. Cena said that since Orton is champion everyone is watching him and after him. Cena called Orton a giant pussbag. Cena said Orton took the easy way out by winning by DQ on Monday. Daniel Bryan made his way out to a huge pop. Bryan said that Orton is afraid of Bryan beating him. Bryan said that when Cena gets his rematch Cena will win and that Cena will grant Bryan a title shot. The Shield came out to attack then Punk ran out to even the odds. Vickie came out to massive boos to announce the main event which is Shield vs Punk, Bryan and Cena.
-Big E Langston defeated Jack Swagger. Langston won with the big ending in a quick match.
-Brie Bella defeated Tamina. AJ sat in on commentary. Brie rolled up Tamina for the win and then pushed AJ at ringside.
-Bad News Barrett did a promo ringside.
-Sin Cara defeated Drew McIntyre.
-Tensai defeated Brodus Clay. Tensai won after a distraction from the Funadactyls and Xavier Woods. After the match Woods and Tensai cleared the ring.
-Eric Rowan and Luke Harper defeated Cody Rhodes and Goldust in a non-title match. Great tag match. After the match the Wyatts tried to attack but Bryan made the save which led to…
-Daniel Bryan and The Rhodes brothers defeated They Wyatt Family. Bryan hit the running knee to win.
-Damien Sandow cut a promo about canceling Christmas. Miz came out and said where he comes from they celebrate Christmas. It led to a match.
-Damien Sandow defeated The Miz. Sandow won by rolling up and hooking the tights.
-Fandango defeated Kofi Kingston. Fandango won with the top rope leg drop.
-Backstage, Renee Young started to interview Bryan when The Wyatts attacked. They beat Bryan down and threw him off a ledge out back. That changed the main event to a handicap match.
-John Cena and CM Punk defeated The Shield by disqualification. The Shield ganged up on Punk to get DQed. The Shield took out Punk and hit the triple powerbomb on Cena. Big E Langston made the save and had a stare down with Roman Reigns to close the show.
Results were courtesy of ProWrestling.net.
The WWE held the Monday Night Raw tapings in Austin, Texas. The show will air on Monday night on USA starting at 8 p.m. ET. Here is what happened at the tapings.
- JBL and Michael Cole come out for commentary. No Jerry Lawler.
- The Authority kicks off RAW and hands out Santa Claus hats to the crowd. WWE World Heavyweight Champion Randy Orton makes his way out and is given the night off.
- The first match is a 12 Divas Jingle Bells match with Eva Marie, Natalya, The Bella Twins, Cameron and Naomi vs. Aksana, AJ Lee, Rosa Mendes, Alicia Fox, Tamina Snuka and one other Diva. Natalya gets the win for her team with a Sharpshooter on Aksana.
- Sin Cara defeated Curtis Axel.
- Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes and Goldust vs. The Wyatt Family is up next. Bryan is crazy over tonight. The Wyatts dominated most of the match until Cody got a hot tag. Goldust comes back in and The Wyatts take turn beating him up. Bryan gets a hot tag and clears the ring. “This is awesome” chants start as Bryan kicks Rowan. They go on and all hell breaks loose. Bray hit Sister Abigail on Cody for the win. After the match, The Wyatts beat up Bryan some more and the lights go out.
- Jinder Mahal and Drew McIntyre are out with no Heath Slater. Santino Marella and The Great Khali are out next followed by Xavier Woods and R-Truth. Renee Young is in the ring to host a Christmas Carol contest. Cameron and Naomi are with Truth and Woods. This segment was described as crap. Crowd noise picks the winners. Khali and Santino get the win.
- Fandango vs. Dolph Ziggler is up next in a “Present on a Pole” match. The winner will get an Intercontinental Title shot on the New Year’s Eve RAW. Fandango gets the win and is the new #1 contender.
- Darren Young and Titus O’Neil vs. The Usos is up next. Darren Young botched his pre-match promo and said we were in Houston. Fans ate him up. A “this is Austin” and “Houston sucks” chant starts up. The Usos end up getting the win.
- “Bad Santa” Damien Sandow vs. “Good Santa” Mark Henry in a Battle for Christmas is up next. Christmas trees and presents are put around the ring before the match. Sandow comes out with some Sinister Santa music. They actually wrestle as Santa. They open a present in the ring and it’s a toilet, before fighting up the ramp. Sandow tears up some of the set and takes out a Christmas tree. Henry gets the win and saves Christmas.
- Los Matadores defeat Jack Swagger and Antonio Cesaro.
- Ryback beat Kofi Kingston.
- Backstage segment with CM Punk and Big E Langston.
- Bad News Barrett comes to ringside for a promo.
- The Shield vs. CM Punk, Big E Langston and John Cena is next. Into the match, Big E gets a hot tag from Punk and destroys The Shield. Langston hits the Big Ending on Dean Ambrose but Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns break the pin up. The referee calls for the bell. The babyfaces clean house and celebrate to end RAW.
Results were courtesy of WrestlingInc.com.
Brian and Steve are back for the weekly WWE Raw podcast including all of the wrestling on the show including a fantastic main event between Daniel Bryan and Randy Orton, Shawn Michaels appearing on Raw again and if he will return to the ring and, if so, who he may face, Brock Lesnar and Randy Orton being tied together, the Variety article on the WWE negotiating their new TV deals and some of the most interesting aspects of the article, AJ Styles and TNA Wrestling and more.
Feel free to leave your comments below.