Tito Ortiz Has A Fractured Neck, Bellator 106 Will Now Be on Spike TV

It has been confirmed by Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney that Tito Ortiz has suffered a fractured neck and will be out of his Bellator 106 fight next Saturday with Quinton Jackson. Rebney then said the card will switch from pay-per-view to a three hour event on Spike TV and the people who had already ordered the event will get reimbursed.

We had reported earlier today that Ortiz was going to be out of the fight.

Rebney and Spike TV executive Kevin Kay held a conference call earlier today to make the announcement of the switches.

“I’ve got bad news, and I’ve got great news,” began Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney. “The bad news is that I can confirm that Tito has fractured his neck and will be unable to fight next Saturday. His doctors confirmed that fighting with Tito right now could have dire consequences, so Tito is off the card and our thoughts and prayers are with him in what we hope will be a great and full recovery.

“The great news that I’ve got, because I’ve got the greatest partners on Earth at Spike and Viacom like Kevin Kay and people like Wade Davis, we’re going to give Chandler-Alvarez II for the lightweight title, (Muhammad)Lawal versus Emanuel Newton II for the light heavyweight interim world title, [Pat] Curran versus [Daniel] Strauss II for the featherweight world title, and a bevy of other really great fights, all to the best MMA fans on Earth, for free on Spike TV, Saturday night at 9 o’clock Eastern time.”

Every main card fight will be moved up now with the rematch of Michael Chandler and Eddie Alvarez for the lightweight title. Rebney said that the “Fight Master” finale between Joe Riggs and Mike Bronzoulis will now be apart of the main card.

Rebney stated that Ortiz could be sidelined for more than six months before the Bellator can get a better timeframe on an Ortiz return. In terms of when Jackson will make his Bellator debut, Rebney would like to get Jackson ASAP.

“On the Rampage front, literally as quickly as possible,” he said. “Obviously there have been a lot of moving parts with Kevin and I and the team and Spike and Bellator and everybody working together to put this magical show on Spike TV for free, but don’t think that we’re not thinking about Rampage and we’re hopefully going to be in a position in the next week to make some great announcements on that as well.”

Follow Between The Ropes on Facebook and Twitter.

Report: Bellator To Air on Fridays This Fall

Bellator-MMA-Onslaught-LogoBellator MMA will have a new weekly home this fall on Spike TV as it will be moving to Friday nights.

Loretta Hunt of SI.com broke the news after speaking with Spike TV President Kevin Kay.

Season 9 of Bellator will actually debut on Saturday, September 7 on Spike TV will will be the finale for the “Fight Master” reality show.  Then on September 13, the promotion will make the permanent move to Friday nights and will air weekly from 9:00-11:00p ET.

Kay admitted that with UFC airing weekly on Wednesday nights in the fall on Fox Sports 1 was part of the decision not to move to that night and instead opted for Fridays.

“I don’t want to see Bellator going head to head with the UFC,” Kay told SI.com. “I don’t think that makes any sense for fans. No matter who would win in that scenario, you don’t want to not give the fans the choice to watch both.”

Staying on Thursday nights was not a viable option either as the promotion did not want to go head-to-head with the NFL.

While “The Ultimate Fighter” reality show did some of its lowest ratings while on Friday nights, Kay told SI.com that he thinks Bellator will be able to hold up on that night.

The Ultimate Fighter on Fridays was doing over a million viewers a week. I’ll take that, and with live fights, I think we’ll do even better,” said Kay.