WWE has terminated Hulk Hogan after a racist rant was revealed by the National Enquirer. WWE has issued the following statement:
WWE terminated its contract with Terry Bollea (aka Hulk Hogan). WWE is committed to embracing and celebrating individuals from all backgrounds as demonstrated by the diversity of our employees, performers and fans worldwide
Hogan’s release came in response to the National Enquirer releasing a story headlined, “World Exclusive: Hulk’s n-word racist rants caught on tape — foul, disgusting tirade leaks.” The story is a joint investigation by the Enquirer and RadarOnline.com the tabloid sites report that Hogan made racially charged comments that were captured on the unauthorized sex tape, which was later published by Gawker in 2012.
The comments attributed to Hogan were in regard to his daughter Brooke, who he believed was sleeping with an African-American man. Hogan reportedly told Heather Clem, who he was having an affair with, “I guess we’re all a little racist.”
Hogan reportedly didn’t stop there, telling Clem that a “black billionaire guy” had offered to finance Brooke’s music career. (Warning: Strong language ahead.)
“I don’t know if Brooke was fucking the black guy’s son,” Hogan reportedly said. “I mean, I don’t have double standards. I mean, I am a racist, to a point, fucking niggers. But then when it comes to nice people and shit, and whatever.”
And the tirade reportedly continued: “I mean, I’d rather if she was going to fuck some nigger, I’d rather have her marry an 8-foot-tall nigger worth a hundred million dollars! Like a basketball player! I guess we’re all a little racist. Fucking nigger.”
The Enquirer and Radar report that transcripts of the conversation have been filed in a Florida court but are under seal. The tabloids report that “an extensive news probe uncovered five independent sources who provided the dramatic contents of the tape to this publication.”
The Enquirer story ends with this line: “Story developing — more from the vile tapes to come.”
Late last night, WWE began scrubbing Hogan from WWE.com, removing his merchandise from WWE Shop as well as pulling him as a Tough Enough judge. Hogan’s profiles on the website have been removed from the Hall of Fame section too.
Hogan’s only response so far has been this tweet.
In the storm I release control,God and his Universe will sail me where he wants me to be,one love. HH
— Hulk Hogan (@HulkHogan) July 24, 2015
UPDATE: Hulk Hogan has responded in a statement to People.
“Eight years ago I used offensive language during a conversation. It was unacceptable for me to have used that offensive language; there is no excuse for it; and I apologize for having done it.
“This is not who I am. I believe very strongly that every person in the world is important and should not be treated differently based on race, gender, orientation, religious beliefs or otherwise. I am disappointed with myself that I used language that is offensive and inconsistent with my own beliefs.”
Hogan’s lawyer told People that Hogan resigned from the company — “He decided to resign from WWE because he didn’t want to put them or his family through this,” David Houston told People. However, WWE maintains that Hogan was fired.